NOTE: This review is designed for longer courses that span over 2+ semesters. While it would be good information for everyone, it may take too much time out of a single semester. Please allow for extra time.
72 HOUR + COURSES
Beginning of Second Semester Review (recommended).
The topics below will help you create a review of the key learning concepts of Units 1-6:
Cultural Differences: Cultural Differences in Service
- Identifying visitors and defining cultural awareness
- The Lodging Introducing hotels, rooms, and departments
- C: Language: Word stress; practice countries, nationalities and numbers.
Stereotypes: Using Generalizations
- Generalizations VS. stereotypes-Avoid stereotyping by using special language
- Parts of a hotel.
- Sentence Stress
- Interview questions for English practice
International Service Expectations
- Professional behaviours – Acknowledging the guest when busy;
- First Come, First Served; The 10 foot, 5 foot rule
- Professional language – welcoming, appropriate greetings (times of day); good byes.
- Common conversations in the Spa, Maintenance & Security Departments
Nonverbal Communication: Body Language
- Use professional body language in the workplace
- Handshakes and facial expressions
- Professional body language
- Using introductions & greetings
Conscious Communication: Active Listening
- Using active listening to increase communication
- Housekeeper/ guest interactions; Paraphrasing, summarizing
Connecting With Guests: First Impression
- Language: Speaking – Polite speech, softening language, modal verbs, qualifiers, active voice, passive voice. Small talk topics; topics to avoid
- Food & Beverage – Room Service / Banquets